Wednesday 24 October 2007

The Black Abbot (1963)

The Black Abbot (Der Schwarze Abt) is my second German Edgar Wallace krimi, and while it’s not quite as outrageous as The Door with the Seven Locks it’s not far behind, and the gothic atmosphere is even more delightfully overdone. The plot is too intricate for me even to attempt a synopsis, but it involves forgery, blackmail, madness, hidden treasure, various complicated criminal schemes, forced marriages, crooked accountants, embezzlement, and a mysterious masked black abbot. The black-and-white cinematography is gorgeous, the pacing is relentless, the comic relief (once again provided by Eddi Arent) isn’t overly annoying and is even amusing at times, and the sets look wonderful. The acting is pretty good as well. And it’s terrific fun!

1 comment:

tom j jones said...

No, still can't work out the plot! There's at least one off-screen murder that I just can't see how it was committed, and another one that may have been resolved ... or maybe not! I also can't work out the hero's actions and motivations ...

But apart from that, the audience certainly got their money's worth! It's beautifully made, everyone gives their all as always, and it's certainly not slow-paced!

I'm beginning to find Eddi Arendt genuinely funny. If I need therapy, I'm sending you the bill!!!